High Perch: 7 quaint hotels in the hills to escape to right now
MAY 13, 2016 | By Aditi Sharma Maheshwari
This season, we recommend you take a break from your indoor cooling systems and head to the hills for naturally cool air. Embrace quiet seclusion – browse through our selection of peaceful, cozy lodges in India that will encourage you to pack your bags and commence your vacation right away.
1. Glenburn Tea Eastate, Darjeeling: Owned by the Prakash family of tea planters, the Burra Bungalow is a cute getaway, designed like a typical English home. It has a living room (with a fireplace and library), a grand dining and four differently decorated bedrooms that are comfortable and spacious.
2. The Machan, Lonavala: An eco-friendly resort, it runs on sustainable resources and offers tree house accommodations. Its various rooms like The Heritage that hangs over the edge of a precipice, Canopy that offers panoramic views of the surroundings, Forest overlooking the verdant woods and Jungle nestled within trees, are all perched 30 to 40 ft above the forest!
3. Royal Houseboats, Kashmir: Made entirely out of cedar wood, these float on the Dal Lake, overlooking the true blue waters. Inside them, a corridor, drawing room, dinning room, pantry, two to seven bedrooms with attached bathrooms make this an oasis of comfort.
4. The Ultimate Travelling Camp, Ladakh: This mobile luxury camp in Thiksey and Diskit in Ladakh and Kohima in Nagaland offer triple layered tents that can be temperature controlled. An attached bathroom and in-house chef who uses garden fresh ingredients to prepare regional, Indian and international dishes, makes this place a must visit.
5. Windermere Plantation & Retreat, Munnar: Reflecting a homely vibe, it has three kinds of accommodation: Garden rooms facing either the lush greenery inside the property or the valley, Estate rooms inspired by old plantation houses equipped with balconies, Planters with a semi-dining area, sitting room and windows overlooking the mountains.
6. 7 Pines, Kasauli: Smart interiors with modern amenities, this mountain hideaway is perfect for those seeking peace. The property has six bedrooms with attached verandas that face the hills and a chef who prepares gourmet meals suited to your tastes.
7. Chapslee, Shimla: Echoing the story of a bygone era, this property was once owned by Late Raja Charanjit Singh of Kapurthala. Today it is a small, charming hotel that offers five elegant suites, a tennis court, a croquet lawn and views of the beautiful Himalayan range.
Also read: New Delhi’s boutique hotel Dharampura Haveli is a restoration marvel