India Design ID 2016: 10 things you should do at the country’s definitive design week
FEB 5, 2016 | By Tasneem Merchant
Now in its 4th edition, India Design ID, the country’s definitive design week will once again be making waves in New Delhi. More than just a carefully curated showcase of furniture, fabric and other decor objects, it is a platform that makes good design accessible to the masses. Here, one can also meet and interact with leading designers and architects sharing valuable insights and experiences first-hand.
Here’s a list of 10 must-sees and do things for your handy reference…
1. Exhibit IDThe expansive NSIC Grounds in Okhla will be transformed into a haven for decor enthusiasts. A curated exhibition of brands across categories like furnishings, furniture, tabletops, kitchen, and fabrics will display wares from their latest collections.
2. ID SymposiumThought leaders and game-changers from the field of design and architecture from across India and the world will speak on topics ranging from future of design to their personal experiences in the industry. The line-up this year includes names such as Mario Bellini, Toyo Ito, Nipa Doshi, Ashiesh Shah, Tom Dixon, India Mahdavi, Sonali Purewal among others.
3. ID SatelliteFrom Feb 5 to 14, over 100 decor stores spread across MG Road, Shahpur Jat, Defence Colony, Lado Sarai, Greater Kailash, Meher Chand and Khan Market will be participating in ID Satellite. Head to these areas from Feb 5 onwards to avail special discounts, latest collections and launch parties.
4. Asian Paints ColourNext 2016 and Colour of the YearPresented every year, ColourNext is a collection of shades that represents changing trends in the country. The colours are developed after extensive research and inputs by various experts and sociologists and aims to capture the mood of the country. Head to the Trends pavilion from Feb 12-14 to experience these in a grand conceptual showcase.
5. Special Showcases The winning entries from three competitions – EDIDA 2015, The Park ELLE DECOR Student Contest and Godrej Design Lab 2015 – are given pride of place each year. While EDIDA in association with Sunil Sethi Design Alliance recognises talent across the design industry, The Park ELLE DECOR Student Contest held in association with The Park Hotels give product and design students a chance to impress the world with their creativity. Godrej Design Lab, held in association with ELLE DECOR India, gives designers the opportunity to develop their concepts into products – thus giving them a chance to bring their dreams to life.
6. India Arch Dialogue Presented by FCML as part of the FCML Design Initiative, eminent names in the industry such as Johannes Robbrecht, Verendra Wakhloo, Greg Reaves and Toyo Ito will be exhibiting their models as well as inspiring audiences with their thoughts and opinions. Be sure to register for the discourse in order to hear them speak.
7. Workshops by Asian PaintsTwo workshops – Colours of Threshold and Trends to Colours will be held on Feb 12 and 13 and will get your creative juices going. While the former aims to connect storytelling and design, the latter is conducted by renowned colour expert Kate Smith to give hands-on experience on spotting trends.
8. Food and Beverages While you enrich your mind with all that is good in decor and design, replenish your body with yummy food as well. Pop ups by much loved food joints like The Park, Junglee Billee, Caara Cafe, Brown Sugar, Dunkin Donuts and Jugmug Thela, will hope to tingle everyone’s tastebuds.
9. The Park ELLE DECOR Student Awards: Don’t miss this celebration of budding talent. The winners of The Park ELLE DECOR Student contest, held in association with The Park Hotels, will be honoured in a grand ceremony held on Feb 12. 10. InstallationsArtists will be invited to put up special installations across the fairgrounds. Have a fun time spotting and interacting with this year’s interesting setups.
What: India Design IDWhen: Feb 11-14 Where: New Delhi
Also read: Know the Speakers: India Design ID 2016…